Remerge utilizes the AppsFlyer tracker click URL to achieve the following goals:
- Ensure the most optimal user experience by deep linking the user directly to the exact product page within the app.
- Notify AppsFlyer of a click that should come from Remerge.
In 2015, with the launch of iOS 9, Apple has introduced Universal Links to the market and changed the way deep links are handled in iOS. Universal Links have become a standard for iOS 10 and higher. They are part of the deep linking ecosystem (and as such offer a deep linking functionality), yet unique to the iOS ecosystem.
Universal Links are proven to be especially beneficial when it comes to making the most of your marketing efforts. Therefore, we do kindly ask that you provide us with your Universal Links as soon as possible. The following example is taken from an active (anonymized) Remerge campaign. The evident impact on your user's experience is very much immediate, as we can attest to an instant increase in reengagement rate, (500%!), upon the implementation of Universal Links in a client's app:
AppsFlyer offers a unique tracking link, the OneLink™, which utilizes three primary features with a single click: device detection & redirection, deep linking, and deferred deep linking. You may turn the Onelink into an iOS universal link which works on all OS versions. For further information on AppsFlyer's OneLink and best practices, please visit the OneLink Overview Page.
AppsFlyer employs Universal Links solely for the purpose of an app open. In other words, the user is not yet deep linked to the right page. In fact, AppsFlyer leverages the deep link scheme to guarantee a smooth Universal Links performance on all OS versions. This means that AppsFlyer nonetheless requires the raw deep link custom scheme (myapp://...) to redirect a user to the exact page within the app.
Prerequisites: Deep links are imperative to ensure smooth functioning AppsFlyer Universal Links. Therefore, before you initiate Universal Links implementation, please ensure your app is enabled to work with deep links and only then take the following steps:
1. Retrieve App's Team ID / App Prefix
- Log in to your Apple Developer Portal, go to View Account < Account Summary and obtain your app's Team ID / App Prefix.
2. Configure OneLink Subdomain & Link to App
- Log in to your AppsFlyer Account, go to the navigation menu, scroll down to Configure OneLink < iOS and tick Enable iOS 9 Universal Links for deep linking.
- Populate the Team ID / App Prefix (which you have retrieved in step 1). For pending apps, ensure to also provide the iOS App Bundle ID. For further information please visit AppsFlyer's OneLink Deep Linking Guide.
- Create your subdomain (in case you have yet to create one).
- Enter your deep linking scheme in the Deep linking Custom URL Scheme (iOS8/Android 5 and below) box:
3. Link your App to Approved Domains
- Go to your app and register the approved (associated) domains, by toggling the Enabled button, located next to Associated Domains:
- Add your subdomain xxx.onelink.me to the list of associated domains. Your list of approved domains will be displayed as follows:
- AppsFlyer hosts the "Apple-App-Site-Association" (AASA) file for the onelink.me subdomain on your behalf.
4. Enable AppsFlyer's SDK for Attribution & Deep Linking
The onAppOpenAttribution Method
AppsFlyer's onAppOpenAttribution SDK function parses data and returns it via a hashed object. However, when users are deep linked directly using Universal / App Links, the onAppOpenAttribution function returns the full link unparsed since the app opens directly without passing through AppsFlyer first.
The onAppOpenAttribution SDK function facilitates AppsFlyer in accessing the full re-engagement data for all user types. In order to do just that, please follow the below guidelines:
- Make sure you are using both the continuteUserActivity and openURL method to inform AppsFlyer's SDK of an app open via any method.
- Make sure the onAppOpenAttribution function extracts all of the data from the parameters, and particularly speaking, from af_dp, in order to deep link the user to the right location within the app. Please use the af_dp parameter values to create a unified logic across all deep linking scenarios.
Below flow chart and the accompanying clarifications illustrate the deep linking process for iOS:
5. Submit the Updated App to the Appstore
- Once the above-mentioned steps are completed, submit the app update to the Appstore. Please note: Your Onelink will only work for users with the updated app version.
This part of the guide takes you through the process of iOS tracker generation with AppsFlyer.
Prerequisites: Ensure that the selected fallback option is the iOS Appstore.
1. Enable In-App Retargeting
- Log in to your AppsFlyer Account and select your app.
- Go to App Settings and toggle ON Enable Re-Targeting Campaign Measurement.
2. Locate & Activate Remerge
- Go to the navigation menu, located on the left side of the AppsFlyer dashboard, scroll down to Configuration and select Integrated Partners:
- A list of integrated partners will appear. Find Remerge by entering it in the search field.
- Click either on the Remerge logo or Edit button to open our configuration window and toggle ON Activate Partner. For a step-by-step guide and further information on the Integration tab please visit our Event Forwarding with AppsFlyer Guide.
- Click on the Tracking Link tab, located on the upper section of your screen. The tab you are located on is always both highlighted and underlined.
3. Generate your Remerge Tracking Link
Click on the Tracking Link tab, which is the second tab of AppsFlyer's configuration window (Integration, Tracking Link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions). The Tracking Link tab is where you create tracking links to be employed in your campaign with Remerge. Please note: You are merely utilizing a wizard that is designed to help you with URL creation, windows and other aspects of your campaign setup. This means that AppsFlyer DOES NOT automatically save your generated tracking links. The below screen will be displayed upon clicking on the Tracking Link tab:
- Add Parameters - The click tracking link consists of tracking link parameters. Said parameters provide you with the insight you may later utilize for the purpose of campaign analysis and marketing strategy. Adding parameters can be done in one of the following methods:
1. Utilize our template - You may simply leave the fields (placeholders) blank, as displayed below. In turn, we will dynamically populate the parameters on your behalf and replace them with the actual values.
2. Alternatively - You may add the parameters manually, as displayed below. Predefined parameters can be replaced with new parameters and/or values.
The following is a standardized list of parameters and values implemented in AppsFlyer's User Interface:
- Set up Retargeting - Enable retargeting by toggling the Retargeting Settings button ON, as displayed below. Once retargeting is enabled, AppsFlyer will automatically add the is_retargeting=true tracking parameter to the target URL. Your Remerge tracking link is now a retargeting tracking link.
- Configure the OneLink by selecting the Use OneLink option, and picking your Remerge campaign OneLink, as displayed in below. The OneLink changes the click tracking link from app specific to a OneLink URL.
- Add deep linking information. Ideally, please ensure to enter the raw deep link path to the exact product page in your app. If this is not possible, please make sure to provide us with a raw deep link that just opens your app. Once you enter the deep link data in the Deep Link URL box shown in the screenshot below, the tracking URL will change to the appropriate OneLink URL with the &af_dp= parameter attached to it. As previously mentioned, we do recommend providing us with a path to the exact landing page, as it introduces a superior user experience.
- Select your Re-Engagement Window - Set the post-re-engagement timeframe in which a user's in-app events should be attributed to Remerge (values can range between 1-90 days, up to 23 hours or a lifetime), as shown in the screenshot below. AppsFlyer will populate the &af_reengagement_window=x tracking link parameter with your value of choice.
- Select your Click-Through Lookback Window - Set the maximum time passing from a click to reengagement, as shown below. AppsFlyer will populate the &af_click_lookback=x tracking link parameter with your value of choice. For further information on AppsFlyer's Lookback Windows please visit the Lookback Window Configuration Page.
The final version of your Remerge tracking link should resemble the following structure:
The pid=remerge_int is a Remerge specific identifier, which lets AppsFlyer know the click is coming from Remerge. Before submitting your final tracking link to Remerge, please review and ensure that this parameter is included in the link:
4. Share your Remerge Tracking Link with Remerge
Upon completion of the above-mentioned steps, ensure to send your final Remerge tracking link to your Remerge Account Manager for a final review before going live.