Remerge utilizes the AppsFlyer click tracking link to achieve the following goals:
- Ensure the most optimal user experience by deep linking the user directly to the exact product page within the app.
- Notify AppsFlyer of a Remerge click.
In 2015, with the launch of iOS 9, Apple has introduced Universal Links to the market and changed the way deep links are handled in iOS. Universal Links have become a standard for iOS 10 and above. They are part of the deep linking ecosystem (and as such offer a deep linking functionality), yet unique to the iOS ecosystem.
Universal Links are proven to be especially beneficial when it comes to making the most of your marketing efforts. Therefore, we do kindly ask that you provide us with your Universal Links as soon as possible. The following example is taken from an active (anonymized) Remerge campaign. The evident impact on your user's experience is very much immediate, as we can attest to an instant increase in reengagement rate, (500%!), upon the implementation of Universal Links in a client's app:
AppsFlyer offers a unique tracking link, the OneLink™, which utilizes three primary features with a single click: device detection & redirection, deep linking, and deferred deep linking. You may turn the Onelink into an iOS universal link that works on all OS versions. For further information on AppsFlyer's OneLink and best practices, please visit the OneLink Overview Page.
AppsFlyer employs Universal Links solely for the purpose of an app open. In other words, the user is not yet deep linked to the right page. In fact, AppsFlyer leverages the deep link scheme to guarantee a smooth Universal Link performance on all OS versions. This means that AppsFlyer nonetheless requires the raw deep link custom scheme (myapp://...) to redirect a user to the exact page within the app.
To support you with an especially user-friendly implementation, we have split this guide into two parts: the first is meant for your Developer, while the latter, Marketer. In case of any questions, please reach out to your Remerge Account Manager.
Prerequisites: Deep links are imperative to ensure smooth functioning AppsFlyer Universal Links. Therefore, prior to initiating Universal Links implementation, ensure your app is enabled to work with deep links after which take the following steps:
1. Retrieve App's Team ID / App Prefix
- Log in to your Apple Developer Portal, go to View Account < Account Summary and obtain your app's Team ID / App Prefix.
2. Configure OneLink Subdomain & Link to App
- Log in to your AppsFlyer Account, go to the navigation menu, scroll down to Configure OneLink < iOS and tick Enable iOS 9 Universal Links for deep linking.
- Populate the Team ID / App Prefix (which you have retrieved in step 1). For pending apps, ensure to also provide the iOS App Bundle ID. For further information please visit AppsFlyer's OneLink Deep Linking Guide.
- Create your subdomain (in case you have yet to create one).
- Enter your deep linking scheme in the Deep linking Custom URL Scheme (iOS8/Android 5 and below) box:
3. Link your App to Approved Domains
- Go to your app and register the approved (associated) domains, by toggling the Enabled button, located next to Associated Domains:
- Add your subdomain xxx.onelink.me to the list of associated domains. Your list of approved domains will be displayed as follows:
- AppsFlyer hosts the Apple-App-Site-Association (AASA) file for the onelink.me subdomain on your behalf.
4. Enable AppsFlyer's SDK for Attribution & Deep Linking
The onAppOpenAttribution Method
AppsFlyer's onAppOpenAttribution SDK function parses data and returns it via a hashed object. However, when users are deep linked directly using Universal / App Links, the onAppOpenAttribution function returns the full link unparsed since the app opens directly without passing through AppsFlyer first.
The onAppOpenAttribution SDK function facilitates AppsFlyer in accessing the full re-engagement data for all user types. In order to do achieve that, follow the below guidelines:
- Integrate the continuteUserActivity and openURL methods in your app. ContinuteUserActivity and openURL are two ways of informing AppsFlyer's SDK of an app open. However, each method is applicable to specific (below-listed) iOS versions. Therefore, ensure you are utilizing both methods, as this enables Remerge to support you via both the Universal Link and Raw Custom Scheme deep linking protocols. (Code example for each method can be found in the Performing Deep Linking section of AppsFlyer's SDK Integration for iOS):
- iOS Version 9 and/or Above - The continuteUserActivity method informs AppsFlyer's SDK of an app open via a Universal Link.
- iOS Version 10 and/or Above - The openURL method informs AppsFlyer's SDK of an app open via a Raw Custom Scheme.
- Make sure the onAppOpenAttribution function extracts all of the data from the parameters, and particularly speaking, from af_dp, in order to deep link the user to the right location within the app. Please use the af_dp parameter values to create a unified logic across all deep linking scenarios.
Below flow chart and the accompanying clarifications illustrate the deep linking process for iOS:
5. Submit the Updated App to the Appstore
- Once the above-mentioned steps are completed, submit the app update to the Appstore. Please note: Your Onelink will ONLY work for users with the updated app version.
This part of the guide takes you through the process of iOS tracking link generation with AppsFlyer.
Prerequisites: Ensure that the selected fallback option is the iOS Appstore.
1. Enable In-App Retargeting
- Log in to your AppsFlyer Account and select your app.
- Click on App Settings and toggle ON Enable Re-Targeting Campaign Measurement, located at the bottom of the page.
2. Locate & Activate Remerge
- Go to the navigation menu, located on the left-hand corner of the dashboard, scroll down to Configuration and select Integrated Partners.
- Find Remerge by entering it in the search field and click on its logo to open our configuration window and toggle ON Activate Partner. For a step-by-step guide and further information on the Integration tab please visit our Event Forwarding with AppsFlyer Guide.
3. Generate your Remerge Attribution Link
AppsFlyer's configuration window consists of five tabs: Integration, Attribution Link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions. Click on the Attribution Link tab, in order to create attribution links to be employed in your campaign with Remerge. Please note: You are merely utilizing a wizard that is designed to help you with URL creation, windows and other aspects of your campaign setup. This means that AppsFlyer DOES NOT automatically save your generated attribution links. The below screen will be displayed upon clicking on the Attribution Link tab:
- Add Parameters - The click attribution link consists of parameters. Said parameters provide you with the insight you may later utilize for the purpose of campaign analysis and marketing strategy. Adding parameters can be done in one of the following methods:
1. Utilize our template - You may simply leave the fields (placeholders) blank, as displayed below. In turn, we will dynamically populate the parameters on your behalf and replace them with their actual values.
2. Alternatively - You may add the parameters manually, as displayed below. Predefined parameters can be replaced with new parameters and/or values.
Please note: Should you choose to add the parameters manually, we kindly ask you to refrain from utilizing the af_sub5 parameter, as Remerge plans on utilizing said parameter for internal debugging purposes.
The following is a standardized list of parameters and values implemented in AppsFlyer's User Interface:
- Set up Retargeting - Enable retargeting by toggling ON Retargeting Settings, as displayed below. Once retargeting is enabled, AppsFlyer automatically adds the is_retargeting=true tracking parameter to the target URL. Your Remerge tracking link is now a retargeting attribution link URL.
- Configure the OneLink by selecting the Use OneLink option, and picking your Remerge campaign OneLink, as displayed in below. The OneLink changes the click tracking link from app specific to a OneLink URL.
- Add deep linking information. Ideally, please ensure to enter the raw deep link path to the exact product page in your app. If this is not possible, please make sure to provide us with a raw deep link that just opens your app. Entering the deep link data in the Deep Link URL box populates the af_dp= parameter in the tracking link found at the bottom of the page. As previously mentioned, we do recommend providing us with a path to the exact landing page, as it introduces a superior user experience.
- Select your Re-Engagement Window - Set the post-re-engagement timeframe in which a user's in-app events should be attributed to Remerge (values can range between 1-90 days, up to 23 hours or a lifetime), as shown in the screenshot below. AppsFlyer populates the &af_reengagement_window=x tracking link parameter with your value of choice.
- Select your Click-Through Lookback Window - Set the maximum time passing from a click to reengagement, as shown below. AppsFlyer populates the &af_click_lookback=x tracking link parameter with your value of choice. For further information on AppsFlyer's Lookback Windows please visit the Lookback Window Configuration Page.
The final version of your Remerge attribution link should resemble the following structure:
The pid=remerge_int is a Remerge specific identifier, which lets AppsFlyer know the click is coming from Remerge. Before submitting your final attribution link to Remerge, please review and ensure that this parameter is included in the link:
4. Share your Remerge Attribution Link with Remerge
Upon completion of the above-mentioned steps, and prior to going live, ensure to provide your Remerge Account Manager with your final Remerge attribution link.
Important: Please ensure to always send us the Long Link in case you have utilized AppsFlyer's custom link creation tool. For further information on Long / Short Links please visit AppsFlyer's Creating Links page.