Remerge utilizes the Adjust click tracking link to achieve the following goals:
- Ensure the most optimal user experience by deep linking the user directly to the exact product page within the app.
- Notify Adjust of a Remerge click.
In 2015, with the launch of iOS 9, Apple has introduced Universal Links to the market and changed the way deep links are handled in iOS. Universal Links have become a standard for iOS 10 and above. They are part of the deep linking ecosystem (and as such offer a deep linking functionality), yet unique to the iOS ecosystem.
Universal Links are proven to be especially beneficial when it comes to making the most of your marketing efforts. Therefore, we do kindly ask that you provide us with your Universal Links as soon as possible. The following example is taken from an active (anonymized) Remerge campaign, utilizing the Adjust Universal Link in the form of the JSR tracking link. The evident impact on your user's experience is very much immediate, as we can attest to an instant increase in re-engagement rate, (500%!), upon the implementation of Universal Links in a client's app:
To support you with an especially user-friendly implementation, we have split this guide into two parts: the first is meant for your Developer, while the latter, Marketer. In case of any questions, please reach out to your Remerge Account Manager.
Prior to initiating the implementation of Universal Links, ensure to meet the following requirements:
- Custom Raw Scheme URL and Universal Links have been integrated into your app. The combination of both deep linking methods enables you to accommodate all OS versions with an optimal deep linking protocol.
- The Custom Raw Scheme URL has been integrated into your app.
- You have provided your marketing team with the Custom Raw Scheme URL and the path to the exact conversion point within the app. The Custom Raw Scheme URL (and the appended path) is to be later utilized in the Marketer part of this guide.
Once your app meets the above-mentioned requirements, take the following steps:
1. Retrieve iOS App Prefix & Bundle ID
- Log in to your Apple Developer Portal, go to View Account > Account Summary and obtain your app's Team ID / App Prefix.
- Your iOS app is assigned with a bundle ID (by either you or your developer) upon its creation. In order to retrieve the bundle ID, open iTunes Connect and go to App Information > General Information.
2. Activate Universal Linking
- Log in to your Adjust Account, go to Menu > Apps, located on the upper left-hand corner of the Adjust dashboard, and select your app.
- Click on the bottom drop-down arrow of your app, go to the SET UP YOUR APP column on the right, and click on All Settings.
- Go to SETTINGS > Platforms, add your iOS bundle ID, and click on the SAVE button, located on the bottom of the module.
- Click on Universal Linking, add your APP PREFIX & APP SCHEME, and click on the SAVE button, located on the bottom of the page. Adjust automatically creates your short Universal Link token, upon the addition of the APP PREFIX & APP SCHEME. The short Universal Link token is a unique app-specific subdomain (in our example, the short Universal Link token is: u7f3.adj.st).
3. Link your App to Approved Domains
- Go to your app and register your approved (associated) domains, by toggling the Enabled button, located next to Associated Domains, as displayed below:
- Whitelist the Adjust subdomain you have created in the previous step (in our example, u7f3.adj.st), by adding it alongside the applinks prefix to the list of your associated domains. In this scenario, an example of an approved domain would be applinks:u7f3.adj.st.
- Adjust hosts the Apple-App-Site-Association (AASA) file for your subdomain on your behalf. For further information on preparing your app to handle Universal Links please visit Apple’s developer documentation.
4. Integrate Deep Linking Methods
- Implement the continueUserActivity method in your app. The continueUserActivity method is a simple technique for catching Universal Links. For further information on this method along with sample code, please visit Adjust's iOS SDK Readme Documentation.
- Implement the *oldStyleDeeplink method in order to be able to handle users on older OS systems.
5. Test your Universal Links
- Prior to utilizing Universal Links in campaigns, it is essential that you push the new build to the App Store.
- Add the path and/or parameters to the Adjust Universal Link as shown below. The following is an example of the three different ways a Universal Link can reach the conversion point. In our specific example, the short Universal Link token is u7f3.adj.st :
Adjust Universal Link & Path Adjust Universal Link & Parameters Adjust Universal Link, Path & Parameters
Please note: The "?" sign should appear only once in a link.
# The "=" sign is followed by a parameters' value.
# The "&" sign signals the addition of another (different) parameter. The parameter=value pairs should always be separated by the "&" sign.
- Send yourself the created Universal Link (for example, via an email or slack). In order to confirm the accuracy of setup and implementation, click on the Universal Link from a mobile phone. You should be then automatically deep-linked into the exact conversion point within your app. If this is not the case and/or your app does not open, please verify the correct app integration by reviewing the above-mentioned steps.
- Provide your Remerge Account Manager with the final version of the created Universal Link.
Prior to initiating the process of iOS tracking link generation with Adjust, ensure to meet the following requirements:
- Your developer has activated the Universal Link support in your Adjust dashboard as per the above-mentioned instructions.
- Your developer has provided you with the path to the exact conversion point within the app. The conversion point can be reached either by specifying the path and/or parameters and as such, the path structure can be either with or without appended parameters.
- Conversion Point - The custom scheme guides the user to the exact conversion point within the app. The conversion point can be reached either by specifying the path and/or parameters. Below is an example of a conversion point alongside its corresponding custom scheme:
Conversion Point Custom Scheme App Open myapp://
- Path: myapp://competition/10
- Parameters: myapp://?view=fixtures&seasonId=37326
- Path & Parameters: myapp://competition/10?view=fixtures&seasonId=37326
1. Generate your Remerge Network Tracker
- Log in to your Adjust Account, go to MENU > Apps, located on the upper left-hand corner of the Adjust dashboard, and select your app.
- Click on the bottom drop-down arrow, go to SET UP YOUR APP column on the right and click on Tracker URLs.
- Click on the NEW TRACKER button, located on the bottom of the module.
2. Generate your Tracking Link
- NAME your tracking link, select Remerge as your NETWORK and click on the CUSTOMIZE button, located on the bottom of the page.
- Click on Campaign Structure and maintain the DEFAULT structure option, as displayed below (Apply changes ONLY upon a specific need):
- Click on Additional Parameters and add your DEEPLINK, while skipping the rest of the fields you may find on this screen (You may toggle AD SPEND ON/OFF by toggling the Tracking Cost Data button).
- Upon completion, click on the APPLY button, located on the bottom of the page.
- Click on the CREATE and DONE buttons, located on the bottom of the page.
3. Retrieve Reattribution & Inactivity Windows
- Your newly created tracking link (in our specific example, remerge_123) can be found under DATA MANAGEMENT > Trackers > Network-Level Trackers, as displayed below:
- Click on the Wheel symbol, located to the right of the tracking link, and the EDIT button, located on the bottom of the page.
- Click on Attribution Settings, which should be set to DEFAULT. The DEFAULT setting should be visible on both the final version of your Remerge tracking link (please refer to Your tracker is ready screen), as well as throughout all of the Attribution Settings screens (located on the upper right-hand corner of the page, as displayed below).
- Ensure Device matching is enabled.
- Click on Reattribution for Clicks.
- Toggle ON Enable reattribution and click on the APPLY button, located on the bottom of the page. This ensures that the Inactivity period and Reattribution window time frames are inherited from the app level.
- Go back to the Attribution Settings screen and click on Reattribution for Impressions.
- Toggle ON Enable reattribution and click on the APPLY button, located on the bottom of the page. This (as in the case of Reattribution for Clicks) ensures that the Inactivity period and Reattribution window time frames are inherited from the app level.
- The inactivity period for clicks and impressions should be identical. Ensure to register the same value for both, as:
- Remerge needs to know which inactivity window of users can be targeted with your campaign.
- Remerge cannot predict which impression will result in a click.
- Reattribution window for clicks and impressions can have different values. According to industry standards, the attribution window subsequent to an impression is shorter than the one subsequent to a click.
5. Share your Tracking Link with Remerge
Upon completion of the above-mentioned steps and prior to going live, ensure to provide your Remerge Account Manager with the following:
- Final Adjust Universal Link, including the path to the conversion point, which you can receive from your developer.
- Standard Network Level Remerge tracking link with the raw deep link custom path.
- A screenshot of your Inactivity period & Reattribution window, either both for Impression and/or Click.