The following document provides insight into the process of attribution with the SKAdnetwork methodology and its respective capabilities. In case of any questions, please reach out to your Remerge Account Manager.
The SKAdNetwork Methodology
The SKAdNetwork framework (2018) is a user-privacy-preserving approach that offers validation of Advertiser-driven app installations in conjunction with campaign and attribution measurement capabilities. The API forwards postbacks upon installs or reinstalls. The framework fully aligns with Apple's latest data safety and security regulations and is compatible with all iOS 14.5 devices or higher without the need for in/cross-app user tracking consent.
Attribution with Apple's API SKAdNetwork is pending the completion of the following action points by their respective parties:
- Advertiser (app developer):
- The Advertiser has integrated the Mobile Measurement Partner's SDK, which supports their app with the SKAdNetwork methodology.
- For integration, conversion value definition, and mapping support, visit Apple's documentation or reach out to your Mobile Measurement Partner.
- Publisher (source app):
- The Publisher has integrated the Ad Network's SKAdNetwork ID into the source app's plist file.
- The Publisher has displayed the signed Ads in his app.
- Ad Network/DSP:
- The Ad Network has registered with Apple for the SKAdNetwork framework and obtained its respective SKAdNetwork ID (Remerge SKAdNetwork ID: 2u9pt9hc89.skadnetwork).
- The Ad Network has provided the source app with a cryptographically signed Ad.
1. Ad Creation
The Ad Network (Remerge) constructs (or employs the creatives provided by the Advertiser) the most optimal Ad to promote your (Advertiser) app. Said Ad meets the previously discussed and agreed-upon requirements with your Remerge Account Manager to fit your campaign needs best.
2. Ad Signature Configuration
The Ad Network assigns your Ad with a cryptographic Signature containing campaign-specific information concerning the respective Ad (SKAdNetwork ID, Campaign ID, and Source App ID). The Signature enables Apple to verify the Ad Network (e.g., Remerge) as the Ad source and conduct attribution down the line.
3. Ad Display & App Promotion
The Publisher app displays the Ad that promotes the (Advertiser) app.
4. Ad Click
A prospective device user views and subsequently clicks on the displayed Ad.
5. Ad Signature Content Transfer
The Ad click triggers the following course of events:
Opening of the App Install screen (StoreKit-Rendered Ad) -> Activation of the loadProduct() function -> Transfer of campaign-specific information (SKAdNetwork ID, Campaign ID, and Source App ID) to the App Store on the user's device -> Apple tentatively reserves the data on said user's device for potential attribution.
6. App Install & Launch
The device user installs (downloads) and launches (opens) the advertised app.
The App Store reserves a pending install-validation notification (postback) on a user's device for up to 90 days from the moment the Ad click occurs. In other words, an install is eligible for potential attribution, ONLY in case a user installs the app within a 30-day and launches it within a 60-day time window from the moment they first installed the advertised app.
7. First App Launch Verification
The advertised app verifies the install by calling either the registerAppForAdNetworkAttribution() or the updateConversionValue() method upon a user's first app launch.
8. Install-Validation Postback Notification
The advertised app may employ multiple Conversion Values (0-63 conversion event IDs via a 6-bit Conversion Value) to match specific in-app user events (actions). Accordingly, the App Store applies the below time frames before forwarding an install-validation postback notification to an Ad Network:
- A 24-hour time frame, allocated toward a potential update (increase) of a Conversion Value associated with a more valuable user event.
- A Random 0-24 hour time frame following the former (24-hour) time frame, in case of NO update (increase) of the Conversion Value.
Once an app launch meets the attribution window requirements (up to 60 days from the app install) and both time frames have elapsed, the user's device automatically forwards an install-validation postback notification to the Ad Network. For a summarized account of attribution windows and their respective events, please refer to Events & Windows.
Cryptographically signed, the postback contains NO device/user-specific identification details, but rather ONLY values that meet Apple's user-privacy-preserving threshold (e.g., Campaign ID, Redownload flag, and possibly Conversion Value, and Source App ID).
Below is an example of an install-validation postback notification forwarded by Apple to Remerge. For a complete parameter definition breakdown, please visit our Glossary.
"version" : "2.0",
"ad-network-id" : "com.example",
"campaign-id" : 1-100,
"transaction-id" : "6aafb7a5-0170-41b5-bbe4-fe71dedf1e28",
"app-id" : 525463029,
"attribution-signature" : "MDYCGQCsQ4y8d4BlYU9b8Qb9BPWPi+ixk\/OiRysCGQDZZ8fpJnuqs9my8iSQVbJO\/oU1AXUROYU=",
9. Mobile Measurement Partner Notification
The Ad Network (Remerge) enriches the install/reinstall postback notification with the Remerge Campaign ID and Remerge Campaign Name information.
Upon completion, the Ad Network (Remerge) forwards the postback notification to the Mobile Measurement Partner.
The following is a top-level overview of the postback notification journey:
App Store (on the user's device) -> Remerge Server -> Mobile Measurement Partner Server.
10. Mobile Measurement Partner Support
In addition to seamless integration, the Mobile Measurement Partner supports its Advertisers with postback verification and uniqueness, data enrichment, and campaign performance measurement.
The Mobile Measurement Partner offers its clients analytics and reporting capabilities via the collection and decoding of SKAdNetwork-attributed data from ALL Ad Networks and its user-friendly representation in a client dashboard.
Events & Windows
|Event (Action)||Window (Eligibility for Attribution)|
|User clicks on an Ad advertising an app -> Ad click opens a StoreKit-Rendered Ad -> User installs the app.||App Install: 30 days (post-StoreKit-Rendered Ad click).|
|User installs the app -> User launches the app.||App Launch: 60 days (post App install).|
|User launches the app -> App calls registerAppForAdNetworkAttribution.||Postback Notification (to Ad Network): 0-24 hours post the expiration of a 24-hour time frame (in case of no Conversion Value update).|
|User launches the app -> App calls updateConversionValue.||
Postback Notification (to Ad Network):
1.Each Conversion Value perceived superior in value to the previous Conversion Value and taking place within a 24-hour time frame (from the last/no Conversion Value) triggers a 24-hour timer.
Said process might repeat itself up to 64 times (as long as each superior-valued update occurs within a 24-hour time frame from the last update).
2. A 24-hour time frame containing no further superior-valued Conversion Value updates triggers a random 0-24 hour timer.
3. Once said random timer (0-24 hours post the FINAL superior-valued Conversion Value update) expires, Apple forwards an install-validation postback notification to the Ad Network.
* The Conversion Value implementation process is optional.