Among its user-centric benefits, the SKAdNetwork-based approach presented its own set of challenges. Listed below are some of the methodology's Strong Suits, followed by their Drawbacks. In case of any questions, please reach out to your Remerge Account Manager.
- Privacy-Preserving Attribution - In/cross-app user tracking is available ONLY upon the device user's consent. The SKAdNetwork framework enables Advertisers to practice the click-through attribution model in mobile apps without the potential compromise of sensitive user data.
- Data Granularity - The install-validation postback notification Apple forwards to the Ad Network contains Ad Signature parameters, which the Ad Network may apply to conduct granular data analysis:
- Campaign ID - A parameter (1-100 range) enabling the potential inference of data that pertain to other campaign elements.
- Redownload Flag - A Boolean flag indicating a user's first app install (false) or a reinstall, post an initial uninstall (true).
- Conversion Value (optional & conditioned by Apple's Privacy Threshold requirements) - A parameter (0-63 range) highlighting the quality of a particular user event, thus facilitating a certain level of post-app-install tracking. For further information on Apple's Privacy Threshold, please visit our FAQ.
- Deduplication Support - The Ad Signature offers a unique Transaction ID parameter that aids with the (potential) deduplication of install validation notifications.
- Publisher Transparency - The Ad Signature provides a Source App ID parameter (pending Apple's Privacy Threshold requirements) that offers visibility into Publisher apps, favorable amidst your users.
- Authentication Properties - The install-validation postback notification includes Apple's cryptographic Signature that validates Apple as the install postback source, confirms attribution, and assures user privacy.
- Level Playing Field - Apple's ability to perform attribution for all parties eliminates the likelihood of one Ad Network's advantage over the other (e.g., Self Attributing Networks).
- Fractional Targeting - The ability to target a unique user with personalized ads customized to fit their previously detected interests is impaired, as it is pending user tracking authorization for both Advertiser and Publisher apps. Country-specific targeting, however, remains a viable method.
- Challenged Frequency Capping - The Ad Network's inability to identify the user in question hinders its ability to implement user-based advertising restrictions. To that end, frequency capping solutions will require the Publisher's support.
- Impaired Measurement & Optimization:
- No User-Level Data - The install-validation postback notification forwards aggregated and anonymized data containing NO user-level data (e.g., Ad Network ID, Campaign ID, and occasionally, Publisher ID). The Ad Networks' inability to associate an in-app or click event with a particular user makes it no longer possible to run retargeting campaigns.
- Partial ROI/LTV Access - The attributed Revenue value is not a stand-alone value but rather part of the Conversion Value. Said value's presence is dependent on client/advertised app setup and privacy threshold requirements. For this reason, obtaining the exact attributed Revenue value or employing standard measures (such as 7/30 days cohort ROAS/ROI) makes for an improbable task.
- Data Transparency - Apple's Privacy Threshold, which is vital for the procurement of the Source App ID and Conversion Values, is somewhat of a vague requirement. The exact number one must reach to surpass said requirement is obscure, which raises questions concerning its behind-the-scenes logic.
- Postback Notification Complexity:
- Data Delay - Apple does NOT forward the postback notification to the Ad Network in real-time but, instead, subjects it to a substantial time delay (theoretically speaking, up to 154 days from Ad click), based on a sequence of Windows.
- Data Content - Each install validation postback notification includes a maximum of one conversion value per attributed install. Therefore, Advertisers will NOT receive a complete account of Conversion Values but rather the highest Conversion Values within the conversion measurement time frame ONLY.